Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Just As I always Figured

“The Men Who Killed Kennedy: The Guilty Men” episode is being talked about on the web. For years, that was my theory. Long before anybody ever suggested such a thing, I thought Lyndon Johnson arranged to have Kennedy killed. My reasons (such as they are) were:

+ Kennedy got shot in Texas, Johnson's home state.

+ Johnson did not want to be vice president; he wanted to be president.

+ Because Kennedy had won the nomination and the presidency, it must have looked to highly ambitious Johnson
that his chances for achieving his own political goals were about slim to none.

+ I had the impression that Johnson was treated like a hick and a dolt by the good-looking charismatic
Kennedys, and that's got to rankle a proud man like Johnson.

+ One of the reports I've read remarked on how Johnson surprisingly transferred to another car at the
last minute, when he should have been riding with the Kennedys. And I recall that there was some attempt
to get the Texan John Connelly out of the car too, even though it failed.

Now the above list does not constitute proof by any mean. My theory is mostly based on the fact that no one else in the world stood to benefit as much as Johnson did. And from reading biographies about him, I conclude that he had the ruthlessness to do anything that would further his ambitions.

But what do I know?

I would like to get a hold of the video of "The Guilty Men" or see a re-run if it ever comes out. And if I have a chance I might try to read the book on which it's based.

No comments:

Post a Comment